Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Recovery Recipe for Dog Stomach Bloat



My dear little Goober is resting at home from his 22 hour stay at the emergency vet center. His stomach had bloated up dangerously. Never having seen that before, I looked it up in my book, "Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog" and found out if left untreated his stomach could twist (called torsion) and he would have it operated on or I could loose him. This usually is a condition of larger dogs with deep chests.

He now needs 3 to 5 days of a bland diet. He needs to eat 3 to 4 smaller meals a day instead of his two meals a day. The stomach has to rest during his recovery. Too much food is hard on the digestion. This is the bland food diet for any doggie recovering from tummy troubles:

3 lbs chicken boneless and skinless (I use thighs, tastier and softer)
3 cups white rice (no brown rice during recovery)
10 small red potatoes (other kinds of potatoes can be used)
6 big carrots chopped into 1 inch chunks
1 large tablespoon of McCormicks Chicken Base, or Chicken Broth, or Boullion (not enough to make it salty)
12 egg whites (no yellow egg parts during recovery, good protein source)
  • Cook all ingredients, except the egg whites, in large slow cooker (half the recipe for small slow cooker) for six hours
  • In the last 45 minuets, add the egg whites, they cook faster
  • Take out the chicken pieces, let cool, cut in small pieces or shred with a fork
  • Mash the mixture until carrots are tiny pieces and you can't see chunks of potatoes
  • Add the chicken into the mixture and stir
  • Dinners ready!

Lastly, divide the normal amount you feed in one day into four serving sizes. When it's time to feed your dog, heat in microwave for one minuet. Heat on a plate or bowl that is not plastic. Some plastics emit cancer causing toxins into the food in microwaves. We don't want that.

All of us need good refernece books for our pets for wellness care, feeding advice, and making homemade pet food recipes. I'm glad I had mine during this emergency. I buy mine at "EverythingNaturalPetFood.com". I'm very thankful I have my little Goober back with me. Thanks to good advice, he got to the vet in time. May all of your pets be safe and healthy.

No comments: