Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Adopt a Homeless or Rescued Dog and/or Cat





Saturday I went to the dog pound. Before entering I silently told myself, "You're only looking. You have two great dogs. You don't need another dog. You will not adopt another dog!" I thought I was quite firm with myself. Well, I saw many precious loving dogs and cats. I tried to pet and talk to each one of them. There was one that stood out amongst the rest. The type of dog that you, me, or anyone else would never ever adopt. Infact, I was so positive no one would adopt this dog that I went back today and adopted him.

The Humane Society named him Shilo. He was found walking on a country road. Filthy dirty, nails curved around and nearly growing into his feet, this poor dog was infested with fleas. He has a skin allergy all over his body as a reaction to all the fleas. He has yeast infection in his ears. Eye problems, weak back legs, tumors all over, and his teeth are so infected and rotten that he needs to have quite a few abstracted. He looked up at me with his poor red swollen eyes. He didn't beg for petting or squeel for attention. He was too miserable to do that. However, he made a connection with my eyes that I couldn't forget. All the time from Saturday until today, Tuesday, I kept thinking about what a horrible life he is having. Once he probably looked like the dog in the picture above but now he is very old and very sick. I knew I had the abilty to give him a good home for the rest of his poor short life. So I adopted him.

My dogs loved him and the Basset Hound tried to play with him. His back legs are in no condition to run. He smiled, wagged his tail, and looked appreciatively at the Basset Hound. I'll bet no doggies have tried to play with him for quite some time. I made a home cooked meal of hamburger, fish, squash, and sardine oil. Then he had a good bath. This is when I saw the very bad condition of his skin on his legs and belly. This poor boy is so thankful for his bath. He kept trying to lick himself after the bath to help with the cleaning process. He wants to cuddle and smiles. Lots of tail wags. I know in my heart I have done the right thing and that God has led me to this poor lost soul. He is going to the vet immediatly and I plan on fixing what is fixable on this poor old dog. Then he can feel better and be more comfortable. He can live with us until it's time for him to live with our Heavenly Father again.
I know adopting such a dog is not possible for all of you who read this blog. However, there are many other needy good dogs and cats in the shelters who need you. Please find one and take care of them for the rest of their lives. Pets need forever homes and forever love and care. Please, open your hearts to caring for such a needy creature so it will not end up like the little cocker that I adopted. Bless you if you have done this already. Bless you if you are going to adopt soon.

Feed them good food, give them good exercise, vitamins, and lots and lots of love. You will be blessed for doing so. I promise.

No comments: