Saturday, December 6, 2008

My Dog Ate Chocolate! - What to do


My Basset Hound Goober got into my shopping packages and found a one pound box of See's Candies. He ripped it open and bagan to eat it. My Black Lab knew it was wrong and began barking for me to follow her. I did. She led me to Goober who had eaten all but two pieces of chocolate before I found him and removed the box. I immediatly began to panic. In the past, I knew somones dog who had died from eating his family's Halloween chocolate. I knew I had to act fast. I thought to make him vomit the chocolate. My medicine cabinet did not have any Syrup of Ipecac so I drove to the pharmacy. The Pharmacist said they did not make that product any longer. They had nothing else to make my dog vomit. I rushed home and called poison control.

Poison control asked me how much chocolate he ate and how much he weighed. There is a formula for figuring out if they ate enough to be toxic. They worked out the formula. It came out that Goober would have to eat three boxes of milk chocolate for him to have toxic results. They informed me he would be all right but would have a tummy ache and possibly vomit on his own. Luckily, he only had a tummy ache and laid on my lap all evening and sometimes letting out little groans. I was so thankful he was all right. I was so thankful for the quick thinking of my Black Lab.

However, I did learn something very important about what kinds of chocolates are very toxic to dogs. It is mostly the bakers chocolate and then the dark chocolate candies. Chocolate containes an ingrediant called "Methylxanthine" which is made up of caffeine and the alkaloid theobromine. This is not toxic to humans in the doses found in candy and bakery items. However, if your dogs eat bakers chocolate, it can be lethal in the right dose. So, if your dog eats a chocolate cake, it can be in trouble. You have to either get it to vomit using the Peroxide formula below and/or rush it to your Vet or Vveterinary emergency clinic. Even though your dog won't die from small amounts of milk chocolate, it is not a good idea to give it to them as a treat. It can make them vomit or have a bad tummy ache. Give them natual, human grade, organic, holistic dog treats. Never feed dogs chocolate, onions, garlic, grapes or raisons as they all have toxic effects.

The signs of chocolate poisioning can show up to hours after they have eaten the goodies. Your dog could be vomiting, frequently urinating, have diarrhea, rapid breathing, weakness, seizures, and go into a coma. Usually death occurs from cardiac arrest.

What to do according to the "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" written by Debra M. Eldredge, DVM, Liisa D. Carlson, DVM, Delbert G. Carlson, DVM, and James M. Giffin, MD is: "If you know your dog has eaten chocolate within the past six hours and he has not already vomited, induce vomiting. Record the type and amount of chocolate ingested (sweet milk chocolate and semisweet chocolate in candy bars is not nearly as toxic as baking chocolate). Then call your veterinarian for further instructions."

Inducing Vomiting: Give the dog hydrogen peroxide. 3% solution is effective. 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. Repeat every 15 to 20 minutes, up to three times until the dog vomits. Walk the dog after each dose to stimulate vomiting.

For emergencies have two things: 1. the phone number to poison control in a handy location, and 2. a good book like the "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" which can be found at http://www.everythingnaturalpetfood.com/ in the Pet Education Books section and click on Pet Wellness Care. I refer to this book often for my dogs care. It has everything from first aide to emergency care. If you have a dog you need a book like this.

Everything Natural Pet Food is a location for natural, human grade, organic, holistic, and vegetarian pet food and pet supplies for dogs, cats, birds, horses, small animals, reptiles, and wildlife. If you need something and can't find it, let us know and we'll find the resource for you. Remember, to keep your pets healthy, "Feed them Life!"

No comments: